Next file: linux/Documentation/sound/AWE32
Previous file: linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt
Back to the patch index
Back to the overall index
- Lines: 73
Thu Aug 19 16:47:23 1999
- Orig file:
- Orig date:
Thu Jun 4 22:53:50 1998
diff -u --recursive --new-file v2.3.14/linux/Documentation/smart-config.txt linux/Documentation/smart-config.txt
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
Smart CONFIG_* Dependencies
-Fri 2 Dec 1997
+1 August 1999
Michael Chastain <email@example.com>
Werner Almesberger <firstname.lastname@example.org>
@@ -44,22 +44,21 @@
It now generates these dependencies:
- include/config/foo_autofrob.h \
+ include/config/foo/autofrob.h \
So drivers/net/foo.c depends only on the CONFIG_* lines that
it actually uses.
- A new program, split-include.c, runs at the end of make config (also
- make oldconfig, make menuconfig, and make xconfig). split-include
- reads include/linux/autoconf.h and updates the include/linux/*.h
- directory, writing one file per option. It updates only the files
- that changed.
- mkdep.c also generates much better warning messages for missing
- or unneeded <linux/config.h> lines. In fact, you can get these
- messages without generating dependencies with the new top-level
- target 'make checkconfig'.
+ A new program, split-include.c, runs at the beginning of
+ compilation (make bzImage or make zImage). split-include reads
+ include/linux/autoconf.h and updates the include/config/ tree,
+ writing one file per option. It updates only the files for options
+ that have changed.
+ mkdep.c no longer generates warning messages for missing or unneeded
+ <linux/config.h> lines. The new top-level target 'make checkconfig'
+ checks for these problems.
@@ -68,12 +67,14 @@
the compilation flags used to build it. The file foo.o has
its flags stored in .flags.foo.o.
- Suppose the user changes the foo driver from resident to
- modular, 'make' will notice that the foo.o was not compiled
- with -DMODULE and will recompile foo.c.
- All .a and .o files made from C source or with 'ld' or 'ar'
- have flag dependencies. .S files do not have flag dependencies.
+ Suppose the user changes the foo driver from resident to modular.
+ 'make' will notice that the current foo.o was not compiled with
+ -DMODULE and will recompile foo.c.
+ All .o files made from C source have flag dependencies. So do .o
+ files made with ld, and .a files made with ar. However, .o files
+ made from assembly source do not have flag dependencies (nobody
+ needs this yet, but it would be good to fix).
@@ -92,8 +93,8 @@
version of this patch.
Michael Chastain picked it up and continued development. He is
- now the principal author and maintainer. Report bugs to him,
- or to all three people together.
+ now the principal author and maintainer. Please report any bugs
+ to him.
Martin von Loewis wrote flag dependencies, with some modifications
by Michael Chastain.
FUNET's LINUX-ADM group, email@example.com
TCL-scripts by Sam Shen (who was at: firstname.lastname@example.org)